Monday, November 18, 2019

City Approved for $1.7 million in Sidewalk Funding

The City was recently approved for $1.7 million of sidewalk construction funds from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).  The funds are to be used to help fill in the gaps along Southlake Boulevard (F.M. 1709) and complete the pedestrian connectivity in areas not covered in the Southlake Boulevard Improvement Project (medians, deceleration lanes and sidewalks).

The monies represent 80% of the project’s cost. As part of the application the City of Southlake agreed to be reimbursed for the initial 80% of the $2.1 million dollar project, pay for the remaining 20% of the project and cover any additional costs.

According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), “the federally funded program provides opportunities for non-traditional transportation related activities.”

Southlake’s proposed project includes the construction of most missing sidewalk segments along both sides of F.M. 1709 from the western city limit at Pearson to the eastern city limit at S.H. 114, excluding sidewalks that will be built with the construction of the Southlake Boulevard Improvement Project.

“The proposal was just one part of the submittal, said Ken Baker, Director of Planning and Development Services.  “The City received many letters of support from residents, business owners, the City Council, the Planning and Zoning Commission and Carroll ISD.  Those letters were included in the grant submittal and I am confident they helped obtain the approval of funds.”

The City will discuss the details of the project, including a project timeline, with TxDOT in the near future.  Unlike other projects, where the City is obligated to obtain right of way property for construction projects, all land needed for this project is located in TxDOT right-of-way saving the City time and money.

Pathway Update

Did you know that current park construction projects will result in an additional two miles of pathways in Southlake?  See some fast facts about park pathways and trails below:

  • Bicentennial Park.  About 2,600 linear feet of 6-8’ trail will be added to our inventory with the opening of this park.
  • Koalaty Park.  400 linear feet will be installed to finish the loop trail at the park.
If you have questions about the pathways in City parks, please contact the Community Services department at 817-748-8019.    For more information about the City of Southlake’s sidewalk construction projects please click here.
Below are pictures of sidewalk construction from various City projects.

 

Created with flickr slideshow.