Tuesday, November 19, 2019

City Boasts 83% Census Participation Rate

Southlake posted an 83% participation rate in the mail participation phase of the 2010 Census, which exceeds the 72% national average and 69% state average. Just because 83% mailed back their census forms does not mean the census process has been completed, however. In the next few months, Census workers will go door to door to conduct interviews with the remaining 17% of addresses that did not submit a form. This is an important step in the process, as a 100% response rate is required by law.

Getting an accurate Census count is extremely important, because it directly impacts the number of representatives Texas sends to the United States House of Representatives. Census counts also determine how more than $400 billion in federal funding each year is spent on infrastructure and services like hospitals, job training centers, schools, senior centers, public works projects, and emergency services. For more information about the 2010 Census and when information will start being released to the public, please visit www.census.gov