Often imitated, never duplicated, the original Hatch Chile Festival is back – with even more Hatch to love. It’s been 16 years since Central Market Austin lit a fire under a pepper roaster and threw in a few chiles from Hatch, New Mexico, and an annual event that calls to the masses was born.
That’s why our 16th Annual Hatch Chile Festival is the perfect time to show customers that no one roasts or transforms a Hatch chile like Central Market. We will kick off our Annual Hatch Chile Festival on Wednesday, August 17, when we fire up the black, authentic chile roasters. The festival is a salute to the seasonal return of the world-famous peppers, fresh from Hatch, New Mexico that are harvested for only a few weeks out of the year, aren’t grown anywhere else in the world, and connoisseurs consider them some of the finest.
What’s hatching this year?
- More than 250,000 peppers delivered to Central Market each year – that’s more than any other retailer in the country.
- The family that Hatches together stays together! Hatch Roti Meal Deal only $14.99 – Hatch Rotisserie Chicken, Hatch Chile Mac and Cheese, and a Family Garden Salad.
- Look for four brand new Hatch quesadillas– Hatch Chicken Eggplant, Bison Hatch Pepper Quesadilla, Shrimp with Hatch Cilantro Pesto, and Cowboy Quesadilla with Flank Steak and Hatch peppers.
- The 5th Annual No-Holds-Barred Hatch Chile Recipe Contest kicking off online August 3 and runs through August 21st. We’re whetting those appetites for the little green pepper that can. Enter your favorite Hatch Chile recipe at www.centralmarket.com. Each store’s lucky winner will receive a $100 Central Market gift card and a year’s supply of roasted Hatch Chiles (75 lbs.). And of course, lifetime bragging rights! Winning concoctions will also be published online and added to our recipe database.
- Don’t cook? Eat and JUDGE! Enter online to be a Hatch recipe contest judge this year.
- First Ever Central Market IPhone App! The Hatch iPhone app is loaded with fun recipes and a new video on ways to use Hatch (Think Hatch Bloody Mary; Roasted Hatch and Fiery Serrano Salsa; and Hatch Fettuccini w Creamy Pesto Heat!)
- Hatch happenings in the Central Market Cooking School, from classes like Healthy Hatch: Featuring Chef Johnny Carino of PBS Break Me Off a Piece of That and the Hatch Chile Cookout.
- In-store cooking demonstrations and Hatch-inspired food samplings.
For interviews, news coverage, media passes to cooking classes, photos and/or additional information, please contact Heather Senter at (817) 881-5130 or email@example.com.