The holidays maybe drawing to a close but with the winter months just around the corner it’s a good time to remind residents to take precautions to reduce fire danger around their home.
Other fire safety tips include:
• Keeping candles away from small children.
• Do not leave candles unattended and make sure to distinguish them before going to bed.
Colder weather will be here before we know it and that means residents will be building fires in the fireplace.
Remember these fireplace safety tips:
• Never burn charcoal or use a hibachi in your fireplace. Both produce deadly carbon
• Protect against sparks by enclosing a fireplace’s opening with glass doors or a sturdy
• Never use lighter fluid or other flammable liquids to start a fire.
• Burn only dry seasoned wood.
• Have your fireplace inspected annually.
• Keep flammables such as newspapers, magazines, rugs and carpeting away from
• Never leave a fire unattended.
• Distinguish each fire before going to bed.
And most importantly, have a fire extinguisher readily available for use. If you already have
one, check it periodically to make sure it is still working properly. You want
to make sure it’s ready to use before an emergency strikes.