The Southlake Historical Society invites you to join members of Abiding Grace Lutheran Church, Coventry Manor Homeowners Association and city dignitaries at the Rededication of historic Hood Cemetery on Saturday, October 13 at 10 am. The cemetery is located inside Southlake’s Coventry Manor subdivision just east of Peytonville Road at Coventry Lane.
Hood Cemetery is a one-acre site that dates back to 1845 and “the many settlers who came to Tarrant County during the first ten years of permanent Anglo settlement in the area,” according to Mike Patterson, longtime area historian. Mr. Patterson assisted the church’s congregants and Coventry Manor HOA members in the updating of the cemetery, one of Tarrant County’s oldest. The burial grounds were part of an original 640-acre survey patented to Thomas M. Hood when Texas was a republic.
Saturday’s re-dedication ceremony will include representatives from the Sons of the Confederacy and the Daughters of the American Revolution who will honor the grave sites of three Civil War Confederate veterans buried at Hood. Mr. Patterson will provide background information on the veterans’ lives followed by a military salvo of black powder weaponry. Historical music will be provided by the Frontier Brigade Band. Light refreshments will be provided. Open to the public.