As the November 1st time change approaches, the Fire Department wants to remind residents to make another change that could save their lives — the batteries in their smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Non-working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors do not offer residents the protective benefits that these fire safety devices were designed to provide. The most commonly cited cause of non-working alarms is worn or missing batteries.
Smoke alarms by the numbers – National Fire Protection Association
To save lives and prevent needless injuries, the Fire Department has joined the “Change Your Clock, Change Your Battery” campaign. The program urges everyone to adopt a simple, lifesaving habit: changing smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector batteries when changing clocks back to standard time each fall.
Smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector maintenance is a simple, effective way to reduce home fire deaths. These alarms can give your family the extra seconds you need to get out of a home fire safely.
If you need additional information please contact Renni Burt at 817-748-8349 or visit the Change Your Clock Change Your Battery site at bit.ly/1O9XjXK.