After receiving and analyzing over 1,300 parent, staff and student feedback responses through Let’s Talk, Carroll ISD recommended an option for the 2018-2019 school calendar to the School Board at the January 22 Board Meeting.
In December, Carroll ISD asked the community for feedback on the two different proposed calendar options. During the open feedback period, over 900 of the 1,300 responses were in favor of option one because of the length of the holiday, the convenience of the schedule aligning with other districts locally, and the balance of days between the two semesters.
Ultimately, after a question and answer period, the Board approved and adopted Option 1 as the calendar for 2018-2019 by a vote of 6-1.
View the approved 2018-2019 school calendar here.
The important dates from the new calendar include:
- First Day of School – Monday, August 20, 2018
- Professional staff development day – Friday, October 5, 2018
- Staff flex day – Monday, October 8, 2018 (gives students a 4-day weekend and CISD staff a 3-day weekend)
- Thanksgiving break — Monday, November 19 – Friday, November 23, 2018 (November 19th and 20th – staff flex days)
- Four semester exam days are scheduled as follows:
- December 18 and 19 – semester exam days for grades 7-12
- December 20 and 21 – semester exam days for grades 7-12, early release days for grades 5-12
- Winter break — Monday, December 24, 2018, through Friday, January 4, 2019
- CISD staff would return to work on Monday, January 7th
- Students would return on Tuesday, January 8th
- MLK Holiday – Monday, January 21, 2019
- Bad Weather days — Friday, February 15, 2019, and Friday, April 19, 2019
- Student Holiday/Staff Professional Development Day- Feb. 18, 2019, April 22, 2019
- Spring break — March 11-15 2019
- Four final exam days:
- May 24 and May 28, 2019 – final exam days for grades 7-12
- May 29, 2019 – final exams for grades 7-12, early release day for grades 5-12
- May 30, 2019 – final exams for grades 7-12, early release day for all grades (preschool – 12th)
- Graduation/Teacher Work Day – Friday, May 31, 2019
Other actions that were taken at the January 22 School Board Meeting include:
- The Board recognized the hard work of Dragon Band for being awarded the “Integrated Marketing Prize” for their collaboration with Grapevine High’s band on a North Texas Giving Day fundraising effort.
- Christina Benhoff was named as the new Assistant Principal at Carroll High School.
- Trustees approved the Superintendent to enter into a contract with Huckabee, Inc. on the construction of the Music Center, as they have agreed to a contract with conditions that are acceptable to the district.
- Board approves a motion to enter into a contract with Brinkley Sargent Wiginton Architects for the updates to the Aquatics Center, as they agreed to a contract with conditions that are acceptable to the district.
- Trustees approve the purchase of NetApp’s data storage solution from Netsync at a cost not to exceed $2.2 million.
To view the agenda of this and all CISD Board Meetings, click here. To view the archived video of the Board meetings, click here.