Monday, November 28, 2022

City of Southlake Receives Positive Notice on Three WNV Mosquito Traps

The City of Southlake has received notice from Tarrant County Public Health that two mosquito traps in Southlake have tested positive for the West Nile virus.

The positive samples are located near the 100 Block of River Oaks Drive and the 800 Block of Shady Lane, with a delayed result from Tarrant County at the 3200 block of Woodland Drive.

Fire Chief Mike Starr says, “We will continue to implement our aggressive mosquito testing plan to help control the mosquito population. Southlake residents are our partners in this effort and we encourage the public’s continued help in the fight to reduce West Nile Virus.”

The City will respond with targeted spraying for three consecutive nights within a half-mile radius of the positive trap location.  Spraying dates are set Saturday August 8th, Sunday August 9th and Monday August 10th, during the evening hours, weather permitting.  Additional spraying dates are set for Tuesday August 11th and Wednesday August 12th, also during the evening hours, weather permitting.   Emergency Manager Meneses asks residents to remember to continue taking personal protective measures including:

  • Drain standing water in artificial containers; this is the primary source of mosquitoes
  • Dress in long sleeves and pants when out during dusk and dawn and;
  • Wear insect repellent containing DEET

As a reminder, Tarrant County issued a press release on July 30th stating “Positive West Nile Virus mosquito activity is now at record high levels, prompting Tarrant County Public Health to issue a public health warning to the general public. In light of the elevated risk, Tarrant County Public Health is reminding residents to take the proper protective measures to protect themselves against the West Nile Virus.”

For more information about the West Nile Virus, personal protective measures, or response actions, please visit or And as always, if you have any mosquito concerns, please reach out to our Emergency Manager Amanda Meneses at