The Carroll School Board met for a regular meeting on Monday, December 2. Below is a summary of actions/discussion at tonight’s Board meeting.
- Students from Walnut Grove Elementary School’s morning announcements crew handled opening ceremonies, by leading the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance, Texas Pledge and a Moment of Silence.
- The Board honored the Carroll Boys and Girls Cross Country Teams for their 5A UIL State Championships. They also recognized the 48-2 Lady Dragon volleyball team as State Semifinalists.
- Members of the PTO for Special Programs were on hand to recognize winners of their video contest celebrating Inclusive Schools Week.
- The Board met in closed session briefly per Texas law.
- Trustees held a graduation ceremony for members of the Carroll Leadership Academy for Supporting Success (CLASS). A brief cake reception was held to honor and thank the CLASS 2013 graduates for participating in the leadership academy.
- Trustees approved an additional 2.5 special education teaching assistant positions this spring at Walnut Grove Elementary School where enrollment for special education classes is up by 19 students;
- Superintendent David Faltys reported that 100 percent of the CISD campuses have met the Highly Qualified Teacher requirements; also, CISD earned its fourth annual Advanced Placement District Honor Roll Award. Dr. Faltys also reported that all varsity sports this fall earned their respective district championships, advancing in the playoffs and based on the UIL’s new enrollment classification cutoffs, Carroll will be a 6A district. Realignment will be announced on February 2.
- Trustees approved Policy Update 97 as recommended by the Texas Association of School Boards;
- The Board approved a 2012-2013 budget amendment to the general fund for the final settle-up for our Chapter 41 (Robin Hood) payment and to the debt service fund for final property tax revenues.
- Trustees discussed the upcoming Strategic Planning process, to include the hiring of a third party facilitator so that Trustees and Administrators can participate in the process along with employees, parents and students. Trustees said they would like opportunities to engage the public and staff in collecting genuine and honest feedback. The Board also wants effective communication throughout the process with the overall goal to have the plan answer the all important question, “Where do we go next?”
- The Consent Agenda was approved, which included the November 4 meeting minutes, as well as the monthly financial and investment reports and the Bank Depository Representatives. Donations approved included $25,000 from the Old Union Elementary School PTO for the purchase of Teacher Wish List items, iPads, software, staff development training and expenses for Columbia University staff development training; $1,413 from the Eubanks Intermediate School PTO for classroom supplies; $32,465 from the Eubanks PTO for the purchase of Teacher Wish List items; $8,360 from the Walnut Grove Elementary School PTO for Teacher Wish List items, staff development, travel, equipment supplies and bus field trips; $35,963 from the Carroll Athletic Booster Club for wresting tournament expenses, equipment for senior high trainers, golf uniforms, soccer tournament expenses and softball tournament expenses; and $5,005 from Serious Air Community Foundation for handheld digital radios for elementary playground monitors.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m. The next regularly scheduled School Board meeting is Monday, December 16.
Now available: Board Meeting Video on Demand. Watch Board Meetings videos online here. Follow CISD Board meetings live on Twitter @Carrollisd. Past meeting minutes are also posted to the CISD website under the School Board drop down menu.