The Dallas Business Journal (DBJ) has released the list of finalists for the 2018 CFO of the Year awards, including Southlake’s very own Chief Financial Officer, Sharen Jackson.
The CFO of the Year Awards recognizes North Texas financial professionals for their superb performance as financial stewards. The nominees were evaluated for their effect on their respective organizations and were selected across eight categories, including, Large Companies, Upper Middle Market, Core Middle Market, Closely held, Non-profit/501( c )(3), Not-for-profit/501( c )(6) and Government.
“Sharen’s superior financial management and leadership have helped to ensure the long-term health and wellness of Southlake, benefitting citizens, businesses and visitors in the community,” said City Manager, Shana Yelverton.
Yelverton also noted how Jackson worked with the City Council to reduce property tax-supported debt from over $100 million in 2002 to $50.5 million in 2018 and decrease property tax obligations for residential property owners. She has also implemented the open OpenGov portal in order to improve financial transparency.
The DBJ’s CFO of the Year criteria include:
• Demonstrated financial growth during the year
• Success in overcoming significant business challenges or barriers
• Examples of team leadership and superior management
• Other factors may include a chief financial officer’s contributions to the community (such as social, nonprofit or charitable giving)
• Demonstrated commitment to the company’s financial best practices and accounting standards, or success as a strategic visionary for the enterprise
The winners will be announced at the CFO of the Year Awards luncheon on Tuesday, November 13.