The Southlake Police Department would like to remind drivers to slow down especially in road construction work zones like the FM 1938 project where we’ve seen an increase in complaints for excessive speed.
Not only can traffic fines double in work zones where workers are present but serious accidents can occur. The top two causes for work zone crashes are speeding and driver inattention.
Roadway work zones are hazardous, both for workers and motorists who drive through a maze of construction worker signs, barrels and lane changes.
Please keep the following tips in mind when driving through work zones:
- Slow down and always follow posted work zone speed limits.
- Speeding is one of the major causes of work zone crashes.
- Remember, traffic fines double in work zones.
- Pay attention. Workers and heavy equipment may only be a few feet from passing vehicles.
- Be patient. Delays from highway construction can be frustrating, but it only takes a few extra minutes to slow down for a work zone.
- Plan ahead. Leave a few minutes early when traveling through a work zone in order to reach your destination on time.
Remember, speeding to your destination is not worth your life or the life of someone else. Slow down, drive safely and watch for workers in construction zones.