The Holiday season is fast approaching and it’s bringing Old Man Winter with it. While the drop in temperatures is getting everyone into the Holiday spirit it is also the perfect time to remind residents to make sure their home is “winter ready” before making that cozy fire in the fireplace.
Residents should check fireplaces to make sure they are 100% operational, especially if your fireplace is a gas lit unit. Fires in fireplaces and chimneys are involved in 42 percent of all home-heating fires across the country. Deputy Fire Chief Wade Carroll says, “An ounce of prevention can go a long way toward keeping your family and home safe this Holiday season.”
The National Fire Protection Association recommends that chimneys be swept at least once a year at the beginning of the winter to remove soot and debris. In addition to cleaning, a chimney sweep should inspect the chimney structure for cracks, loose bricks, or missing mortar. Chimney liners should also be checked for cracking or deterioration.
Here are a few more safety tips from the Southlake Fire Department to help reduce fire danger in your home.
If you have any questions or need further assistance please contact the Southlake Fire Department at (817) 748-8106.
The holidays maybe drawing to a close but with the winter months just around the corner it’s a good time to remind residents to take precautions to reduce fire danger around their home.
Other fire safety tips include:
• Keeping candles away from small children.
• Do not leave candles unattended and make sure to distinguish them before going to bed.
Colder weather will be here before we know it and that means residents will be building fires in the fireplace.
Remember these fireplace safety tips:
• Never burn charcoal or use a hibachi in your fireplace. Both produce deadly carbon
• Protect against sparks by enclosing a fireplace’s opening with glass doors or a sturdy
• Never use lighter fluid or other flammable liquids to start a fire.
• Burn only dry seasoned wood.
• Have your fireplace inspected annually.
• Keep flammables such as newspapers, magazines, rugs and carpeting away from
• Never leave a fire unattended.
• Distinguish each fire before going to bed.
And most importantly, have a fire extinguisher readily available for use. If you already have
one, check it periodically to make sure it is still working properly. You want
to make sure it’s ready to use before an emergency strikes.