Did you know we have a 9/11 memorial right here in Southlake?
“It’s a beautiful, natural setting that provides a quiet place to reflect,” said Wendi Carlucci, one of the ambassadors that worked to create this space along with Liz Durham.
Together they took on this important, meaningful project as part of Keep Southlake Beautiful and Keep America Beautiful, which asked cities to create spaces in memory of the tragic event.
Liberty Gardens ended up being one of the larger projects with the help of donations of time and materials from contractors and community members through sponsorship. The garden includes a metal archway with the symbolic eagle flying at the top, a gazebo and fountain.
There are several sections to the garden with a gentle stream, native and adaptive plants, several plaques in memory of September 11, 2001 and bronze statues.
The park is located at the N. White Chapel entrance of Bicentennial Park. Over time the space has been used for wedding and other small intimate gatherings.
A poem is inscribed on one of the plaques in the garden, written by Eubanks Intermediate School student Dala Thomas.
Liberty is the love
That brings us together
Liberty is the bravery
That inspires those who have yet
To inspire themselves
Liberty is the feeling of loyalty
For anyone who feels untrusted
Freedom is like God
Lifting every burden off anyone
Who feels pain
Liberty is the sound of hearts,
Spreading their kindness and forgiveness
To those who can’t forgive themselves
Liberty of the justice and fairness
For those who don’t believe there is a
Liberty is the grace
Given to those who need it most.
Join us tomorrow, September 11 for a remembrance ceremony for all those lost on September 11, 2001. Learn more about the memorial event.
The readers of Living Magazine recently voted Southlake’s Premiere Bicentennial Park, 2019’s Best Park in Northeast Tarrant County. Bicentennial Park is one of Southlake’s largest parks and is home to more than 17 features including The Marq Southlake.
Here are seven reasons why WE think Bicentennial Park is the Best Park in Northeast Tarrant County.
1. Bicentennial Park is home to the Southlake Tennis Center and brand new Club House. The Tennis Center is the largest public tennis facility in Northeast Tarrant County housing 19 lighted hard courts. The award-winning public tennis center will be opening two newly renovated enclosed courts. Be sure to take a break during tournaments in the lounge area, purchase equipment and clothing inside the clubhouse or fill up at the ice machine. The Southlake Tennis Center is open seven days a week and maintains a full schedule year-round with adult league play, a junior program for all ages and levels, private group lessons, and tournaments.
City of Southlake Tennis Center at Bicentennial Park
2. Bicentennial Park is home to our brand new facility The Marq Southlake, including Champions Club and Legends Hall. Legends Hall is home to the incredible Southlake Senior Center and if you’re planning on hosting an event then be sure to book the spectacular ballroom. Champions Club celebrated its grand opening in April 2019. Champions Club is open to the community through memberships providing services such as, fitness and performance classes, an indoor pool, a movie theater, and a variety of programs and athletics. Some of the facilities amenities include an indoor playroom for the kids, family and individual locker rooms and an indoor and outdoor turf facility. So, whether you’re indulging in a late afternoon workout or a movie night with the family The Marq is the place for you.
The Marq Southlake at Bicentennial Park
3. Bicentennial Park is home to the Zen and peaceful Liberty Gardens but also includes some of the greatest landscape in North Texas. Liberty Gardens provide everyone with the opportunity to relax and take a break from their busy schedules. Located on the east side of the park and only accessible by foot don’t miss out on the opportunity to bask in the warm Texas sun.
Liberty Gardens at Bicentennial Park
4. Bicentennial Park is home to the Texas Rangers Miracle League Field. One of the first of its kind, The Miracle League of Southlake was launched in the fall 2015 and served 152 young athletes on 12 teams. The League provides opportunities for children with disabilities to participate in America’s favorite pastime. The field is intended to provide opportunities to a greater number of children. The Miracle League is a unique facility that brings a smile to these incredible players and their families.
The Miracle League Field at Bicentennial Park ©miracleleagueofsouthlake.com
5. One of the communities favorite features would be the incredible playground located near the south entrance of the park. One unique quality of the park is that it’s completely gated and receives multiple safety checks a year. Bring the kids and sit with ease knowing that they are enjoying fresh air safely inside the gates. Of course, the park contains traditional amenities such as swings, slides and jungle gyms. More importantly, the park is home to the coveted mother dragon. If you haven’t, be sure to indulge in the safe and friendly atmosphere of the city’s premiere playground.
Playground at Bicentennial Park
6. Bicentennial Park has plenty of parking to accommodate those heavy traffic days conveniently located at the center of all of the parks features. The parking at Bicentennial Park gives you access to the park and fields from two directions.
Main Parking Lot at Bicentennial Park
7. Visitors have the opportunity to indulge in nature by taking advantage of the multi-use trails that stretch across Bicentennial Park. The Park covers 1,200 total park acres and six miles of Park Trails. Explore everything we have to offer by strolling past the coveted baseball fields, hear the laughter from the playground or take in the landscape. Whether you want to indulge in the Texas sun or you need to get your steps in, the trails at Bicentennial can help.
The Trails at Bicentennial Park
Bicentennial Park is one of the many great things about Southlake, TX. Bicentennial Park is spectacular and the city is continuously focused on providing world-class experiences. Let Bicentennial Park be the premier destination for lifelong memories. For more information click here to see our city featured in Living Magazine.