As a Health & Lifestyle Coach, I am always asked what the best “fast food” options are for kids. In our hectic worlds of work, school, and sports, many choose to eat outside of the home numerous times a week. Although, I will always recommend cooking and eating at home for most meals, I understand that people need healthier options in fast food. I would like to call attention to a new place, opened recently at 410 W. Southlake Blvd, called Nekter Juice Bar. Here are the Top 10 reasons why you should bring your athlete there for small meals, and snacks.
1. Nekter’s menu contains juices, smoothies and Acai and Pitaya “bowls,” all made with real, whole, plant based foods.
2. These real whole foods contain micronutrients, that is vitamins and minerals we are lacking in the Standard American Diet (S.A.D). We are not deficient macronutrients: fats, proteins or carbs, however, we do often lack the most essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and water!
3. Nekter is a faster and more convenient option for real, healthy, and delicious “slow food” containing these essential micronutrients.
5. For the most part Nekter’s options are quickly and easily digestible. Pre-game or practice, their juices bypass the digestive process, with nutrients going directly into the blood stream. The smoothies contain the fiber of the plant, therefore, they take longer to digest. The bowls will take a little longer as well. However, these ingredients are all used by the body, there are NO “empty” calories.
6. It is a known fact that plants protect and restore health. The body is stronger and more robust by eating raw plants.
7. It is also a known fact that our “gut health” is lacking. Due to the S.A.D. of animal products, sugars, and processed foods, and the overuse of antibiotics, our guts are suffering. The gut is connected to the brain, and our immune health. Plants in the Nekter products have their own enzymes to improve digestion and maximize the absorption of nutrients, speeding recovery and aiding performance.
8. Nekter also uses chia seeds. Chia Seeds pack a huge nutritional punch. They also are great for hydration and balancing electrolytes since they absorb up to 30 times their weight in water. Chia is a plant based omega-3 fat. Another ingredient lacking in our S.A.D. diet. Our brain cells are covered and protected by fats. Our intelligence, our mental functioning and our brain health is affected by the fats we consume. Healthy Omega 3 fats protect the brain, and optimize its function. Studies have also shown that omega-3 fats can aid in concussion protection and healing. It is recommended to use a high quality animal based (primarily fish) omega-3 supplement for your athlete as well.
9. We are what we eat, and we crave what we eat. If we eat a diet of sugar and processed foods we will continue to crave these foods. They are actually designed to be addictive, if you do not believe me read this! If we eat plants, we crave plants. So feed your kids more from Nekter Juice Bar and you will find them eating their veggies and salads at home!
10. Lastly, and of utmost importance, the juices, smoothies and especially the bowls, taste great! Introduce your child to the taste of real whole foods that will protect their physical and mental health, and increase their stamina. You will NOT regret it!
Author Cindy Carbone is a Southlake Mom and Owner of Commit to H.E.A.L. (Health Eating and Living), a wellness company that transforms lives through food and health education, and effective lifestyle coaching. She offers health coaching programs to women and families seeking healthy living benefits including (but not limited to); permanent weight loss, improved athletic performance, health empowerment, disease prevention, acne reduction, increased energy, improved confidence, better sleep, etc. Committing to H.E.A.L. today, will transform your life tomorrow. contact Cindy through her website or by phone at 978/790-2411, for a free consultation.
Nekter is also a supporter of Carroll ISD. They are a member of the Carroll ISD employee appreciation program, We Care and district marketing partner.