Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Southlake Keeps Recycling Simple

The City of Southlake reveals the circle of life…. for recycling goods. City Council approved a contract with Great Lakes Recycling Inc., d.b.a. Simple Recycling for the provision of residential soft recycling services during the December 3 City Council meeting.

The company will provide curbside residential collection services to Southlake residents and the City at no cost.

Residents will have the convenience of recycling textiles and household items in just three steps. In order to participate, residents can to fill bags provided by Simply Recycling with their materials and place the bag curbside bright and early on collection day. Drivers from the organization will pick up the bags and leave replacement bags behind.  There is no limit to the number of bags that can be placed out for collection.

Materials accepted are men’s, women’s and children’s clothing along with accessories such as jewelry, shoes, purses and hats.  Household goods that are accepted are blankets, drapes/curtains, pillows, sleeping bags, tools silverware pots/pans and more.

Once all items are collected, the materials are graded and sorted based on quality and condition. The top-quality materials will be resold to the local thrift store for about 10-20% while the other 80% is exported to international markets or processed for raw materials like insulation, carpet padding or for the auto industry.

This partnership will allow the City to implement service solutions that will better help serve Southlake residents and is aligned with the 2035 Health and Wellness Plan recommendation to encourage mitigation of waste and diverting trash from the landfill.

So what’s next? Within the next eight-weeks, Simple Recycling will finalize logistics and notify residents of the service by mail.  Service is estimated to begin by February 2020.