Calling all recreation enthusiasts, go-getters, and civic-minded residents: The Marq Southlake is looking for volunteers this summer!
Summertime is here, and there are plenty of ways to get involved at The Marq Southlake. If you are looking to bolster your resume and learn life-long skills, register to become a Marq Volunteer.
The Marq utilizes volunteers in a variety of different roles in our mission to create life-long memories. Volunteers can serve at Champions Club and the Senior Activity Center by facilitating everyday operations and aiding with programs and events. Whether you are monitoring the Indoor Playground at Champions Club or helping at the Senior Activity Center, there is a position for you!
Volunteers are vital to our success at The Marq. Your time and dedication help us deliver world-class service to our members and allows us to remain the premier recreation destination in Southlake. While volunteers are an immense help to us, volunteering is also beneficial for you.
Volunteering is a resume booster and a fabulous way to learn new skills, but did you know that the benefits to your well-being go well beyond that? Volunteering builds a greater connection to your community and helps to make new friends and contacts. Volunteering can also combat stress and increase happiness and self-confidence. Knowing that you are helping others gives you a sense of purpose and achievement.
How to Volunteer:
New volunteers must submit a Volunteer Southlake Application and complete either a parental consent form (minors under 17) or a background check (adults 17 and older).
Once you have completed your Volunteer Southlake Application, you will receive an email from Community Services with a Virtual Orientation Video and a link to a Virtual Orientation Questionnaire. You must watch our Orientation video and fill out the questionnaire. When we receive your answers, you will be granted access to self-schedule your first volunteer shift through VicNet.
If you are already in Volunteer Southlake but never volunteered at Champions Club or the Senior Activity Center before, contact Milenka Lopez and state your interest in volunteering at The Marq. You will receive an email from Community Services with your Virtual Orientation Materials. Once you watch the video and fill out the questionnaire, you will be granted access to self-schedule through VicNet.
Former Senior Activity Center Volunteers must go through the Virtual Orientation to sign up for new Senior Center positions.
If you have already attended The Marq Volunteer Orientation for Champions Club, log in to VicNet to schedule your first shift!
Make Your Marq this summer: Register today!
It’s never too early to invest in your fitness goals which is why now is the perfect time to take advantage of the Champions Club VIP Membership Special.
VIP members will receive a special VIP welcome gift, valued at $100, while supplies last. It includes a Champions Club backpack, Radian Blender Bottle, a metal water bottle, and a towel. In addition to the gift, you will also receive a Free Fitness Assessment from our talented team of pros. It includes a complete InBody assessment, a blood pressure check, flexibility assessment and an aerobic capacity assessment. As a bonus, you will also receive a FREE personal training session, valued at $70 along with an entry in the Champions Club VIP New Year Drawing, terms and conditions apply.
Sign up by January 31, 2021 to be eligible for the VIP New Year Drawing. Becoming a member will give you full access to all that Champions Club has to offer including but not limited to the club’s state-of-the-art facility equipped with a fitness center, gymnasium, walking track, aquatic center and indoor and outdoor turf and other amenities.
Plus, you will receive unlimited support during your fitness journey from a team of individuals as well as become apart of the Southlake fitness community.
If you would like a tour of the facility, guided tours are available during regular business hours.
You can also check our virtual tour online.
For more information about Champions Club benefits, please visit us online at ExperienceSouthlakeTexas.com/VIPMemberSpecial to learn more about the current special and sign up to become a member.
In an effort to accommodate space for social distancing, the December 1 Council Meeting will be held at the ballroom at The Marq Legends Hall at 5:30 p.m.
The Marq is located at 285 Shady Oaks Drive.
The meeting will also be streamed live through the Video On Demand service on the City’s website, however, due to the new location, the meeting will not be streamed on the City’s cable channel.
A recorded version of the meeting will be available on through the City’s Video On Demand service in approximately 48 hours after the meeting ends.
The City Council meeting agenda will be posted and available to view on the City’s website next week. View Council meeting agendas.
Quietly, with no fanfare, one group of employees is working hard to make a significant impact during these interesting times.
Southlake’s facilities team, custodians, and purchasing manager are working together to ensure that city buildings are white-glove clean and properly disinfected for safety. Like most behind-the-scenes players, these employees aren’t usually the first ones noticed, but they are incredibly valuable for making City operations run smoothly.
“City buildings will be opening to the public soon,” said Assistant City Manager Ben Thatcher. “This group of employees are working on the front lines to make it possible.”
In addition to increased site cleaning in anticipation of reopening, the team is working to reduce touchpoints, purchase adequate supplies, and disinfect areas of frequent use by employees and the public, including areas in Town Square parking garages.
“There has and will continue to be cleaning and disinfection of light switches, doorknobs, push plates, handrails, elevator buttons, and drawer handles,” notes Public Works Director Rob Cohen.
The team will also make sure doors remain open, as possible, horizontal surfaces are continually cleaned, and food and common areas are downsized and cleaned according to established regimens and schedules. A contracted cleaning company will continue to clean on a weekly basis.
Facilities employees spearhead the procurement of cleaning supplies for the city and manage the disinfection contract for the city. They do this while also performing normal custodial duties and performing corrective and preventive maintenance work for our facilities,” said Cohen. He also pointed out that staff is also busy making sure that sneeze guards have been installed at specific locations and that hand sanitizing stations are readily available.
At The Marq, the custodial team is busy preparing for reopening, as well. With 110,000 square feet, 16 bathrooms, locker rooms, two elevators, counters, equipment, tables and chairs, doors, railings, and other surfaces, it’s a big job.
“Our work is very customer-centric,” said Chris Tribble, Director of Community Services. “Our facilities staff is absolutely committed to maintaining Legends Hall and Champions Club for customer and employee safety.”
Southlake’s MVP cleaning teams include Carmelita Goen, Sarah Cooper, Justin Bourquin, Andrew Merrick, Juan Sanchez, David Aguayo, Dustin Medlen, Adam Whigham, and John Rodriguez. Superstar Purchasing Manager Tim Slifka rounds out the team, ensuring that certain supplies and equipment are available for the team’s use.
UPDATE MARCH 12, 2020: Celebrate Southlake has been postponed. Read more here.
Join us March 20-22 for a weekend of celebrating our diversity at The Marq Southlake!
Celebrate Southlake is a community event designed to bring the people of Southlake together in celebration of our cultural diversity through food, music, performances, entertainment, and engaging conversations. This year’s event will be expanded into a full weekend of family activities, starting with a community dinner on Friday evening at 5:00 p.m. Sit side-by-side with your neighbors, taste a variety of world cuisines, and feast on engaging conversation.
Return to the Aria on Saturday from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. to “travel the world” by visiting cultural booths and collecting stamps in your Celebrate Southlake passport. Your passport will make the perfect keepsake to commemorate the festival and all your discoveries. You’ll also take in performances, entertainment, music, crafts and more as you explore.
The weekend will wrap up with a family-friendly trivia day at Champions Club on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. Teams of 6 will compete to answer questions and prove their knowledge of local and world history and culture. Prizes will be awarded each round, with the last team standing taking home the grand prize.
We can’t wait to celebrate with you!
The readers of Living Magazine recently voted Southlake’s Premiere Bicentennial Park, 2019’s Best Park in Northeast Tarrant County. Bicentennial Park is one of Southlake’s largest parks and is home to more than 17 features including The Marq Southlake.
Here are seven reasons why WE think Bicentennial Park is the Best Park in Northeast Tarrant County.
1. Bicentennial Park is home to the Southlake Tennis Center and brand new Club House. The Tennis Center is the largest public tennis facility in Northeast Tarrant County housing 19 lighted hard courts. The award-winning public tennis center will be opening two newly renovated enclosed courts. Be sure to take a break during tournaments in the lounge area, purchase equipment and clothing inside the clubhouse or fill up at the ice machine. The Southlake Tennis Center is open seven days a week and maintains a full schedule year-round with adult league play, a junior program for all ages and levels, private group lessons, and tournaments.
City of Southlake Tennis Center at Bicentennial Park
2. Bicentennial Park is home to our brand new facility The Marq Southlake, including Champions Club and Legends Hall. Legends Hall is home to the incredible Southlake Senior Center and if you’re planning on hosting an event then be sure to book the spectacular ballroom. Champions Club celebrated its grand opening in April 2019. Champions Club is open to the community through memberships providing services such as, fitness and performance classes, an indoor pool, a movie theater, and a variety of programs and athletics. Some of the facilities amenities include an indoor playroom for the kids, family and individual locker rooms and an indoor and outdoor turf facility. So, whether you’re indulging in a late afternoon workout or a movie night with the family The Marq is the place for you.
The Marq Southlake at Bicentennial Park
3. Bicentennial Park is home to the Zen and peaceful Liberty Gardens but also includes some of the greatest landscape in North Texas. Liberty Gardens provide everyone with the opportunity to relax and take a break from their busy schedules. Located on the east side of the park and only accessible by foot don’t miss out on the opportunity to bask in the warm Texas sun.
Liberty Gardens at Bicentennial Park
4. Bicentennial Park is home to the Texas Rangers Miracle League Field. One of the first of its kind, The Miracle League of Southlake was launched in the fall 2015 and served 152 young athletes on 12 teams. The League provides opportunities for children with disabilities to participate in America’s favorite pastime. The field is intended to provide opportunities to a greater number of children. The Miracle League is a unique facility that brings a smile to these incredible players and their families.
The Miracle League Field at Bicentennial Park ©miracleleagueofsouthlake.com
5. One of the communities favorite features would be the incredible playground located near the south entrance of the park. One unique quality of the park is that it’s completely gated and receives multiple safety checks a year. Bring the kids and sit with ease knowing that they are enjoying fresh air safely inside the gates. Of course, the park contains traditional amenities such as swings, slides and jungle gyms. More importantly, the park is home to the coveted mother dragon. If you haven’t, be sure to indulge in the safe and friendly atmosphere of the city’s premiere playground.
Playground at Bicentennial Park
6. Bicentennial Park has plenty of parking to accommodate those heavy traffic days conveniently located at the center of all of the parks features. The parking at Bicentennial Park gives you access to the park and fields from two directions.
Main Parking Lot at Bicentennial Park
7. Visitors have the opportunity to indulge in nature by taking advantage of the multi-use trails that stretch across Bicentennial Park. The Park covers 1,200 total park acres and six miles of Park Trails. Explore everything we have to offer by strolling past the coveted baseball fields, hear the laughter from the playground or take in the landscape. Whether you want to indulge in the Texas sun or you need to get your steps in, the trails at Bicentennial can help.
The Trails at Bicentennial Park
Bicentennial Park is one of the many great things about Southlake, TX. Bicentennial Park is spectacular and the city is continuously focused on providing world-class experiences. Let Bicentennial Park be the premier destination for lifelong memories. For more information click here to see our city featured in Living Magazine.
Champions Club, the second and final phase of development for The Marq, is now more than 50 percent complete.
With an anticipated opening in late 2018, the premier activity hub will offer 82,000 square feet of state-of-the-art amenities and fitness equipment, including a fitness center, a gymnasium with two full courts, an indoor pool with sauna and spa, and much more.
Substantial progress has been made due in part to fair weather, which has allowed the contractors to complete structural framing and more than 95 percent of the roof decking. Significant strides have also been accomplished on the interior, as framing, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical work continue steadily.
“The exterior masonry work is proceeding as planned on the north, west and south facing walls. The tie-in to Legends Hall is almost complete,” stated Rob Cohen, the Director of Public Works for the City of Southlake.
Cohen also mentioned upcoming milestones, which include connecting Champions Club to grid power, placing the remaining rooftop equipment, and pool construction. Building development can be viewed in real-time with the construction camera.
Take a virtual sneak peek inside Champions Club with City of Southlake Councilman John Huffman on Tuesday, May 22 around 6 PM during a Facebook Live tour. Be sure to check out the City of Southlake’s Facebook page for more details.
A variety of new and exciting fitness and recreation opportunities for the whole family are on the horizon. The Marq Southlake’s multi-faceted community center continues to see ongoing construction of Champions Club.
With an anticipated opening in late fall 2018, the second and final phase of the development will result in a premier activity hub, offering 82,000 square feet of state-of-the-art amenities and fitness equipment.
From erecting the steel structure to placing concrete slabs, finishing exterior wall masonry, and placing roof sections, Champions Club is visibly taking shape. Structural piers for the pool foundation have already been finished.
“Champions Club is 45 percent complete. Although weather and unforeseen conditions have impacted the project schedule, the construction should be completed this fall. Haydon Building Corp (HBC), the prime contractor, is phasing the project based on the amount of work required to complete each area of the project,” stated Public Works Director and Marq Construction Manager, Rob Cohen.
Already home to Legends Hall, an extensive event venue, the Southlake Senior Center and Aria, an outdoor amphitheater, The Marq will offer much more upon the completion of Champions Club:
Once open to the public, Champions Club will operate seven days a week with varying hours. Champions Club memberships will be available for purchase on an annual or monthly basis for both residents and non-residents, including youth, adults, seniors, and families. Daily guest passes will also be available.
With multiple recreation opportunities, birthday party packages, special events, member appreciation events and much more, the addition of Champions Club will further enhance opportunities at The Marq and allow it to be an all-inclusive community center.
You may have noticed the progress of The Marq Southlake Champions Club. Something is happening almost every day.
You can keep up with the progress, daily or weekly, by clicking on the Earthcam link. Champions Club is scheduled to open in fall 2018.
Once completed, the facility will be a 6,000 plus square feet fully functioning fitness center with cardio and strength training. Members will also enjoy the indoor aquatics center with lap lanes, spa, water slides and a lazy river, a child watch center, 50+ group weekly fitness classes, full-size basketball court, 1/16 mile indoor track and an indoor playground for the kids plus so much more.
Remember to track the progress of Champions Club by periodically checking this Earthcam link.